Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1.What are the dates for the 2021 Season? Monday, June 28th through Friday, August 13th.
2. What are the ages of children who attend Friends Academy Summer Programs?
Our Explorers Program is for children Age 3 – Grade 2 (Fall 2021).
Our Trailblazers Program is for children in Grades 3 – Grade 9 (Fall 2021)
3. Will my child have to wear a mask? At this time, we will require all children to wear a mask this summer. Children will be allowed to have a “mask break” if needed and will not wear a mask during lunch and snack time.
4. What is your COVID-19 Plan? We will be following a plan similar to the one that we are currently utilizing during the school year. This plan includes: wearing masks, temperature checks prior to the start of the day, families completing daily COVID survey on App, frequent hand-washing, cohorts of no more than 12 students, sanitizing surfaces throughout the day and social distancing when possible.
5. Will my child be in the outside all day? While we love for our children to enjoy the great outdoors, we understand that sometimes the heat can become unbearable. All of our classrooms have central air conditioning. All children will have daily indoor and outdoor time.
6. What are the hours of a typical day and is transportation included?
Our day runs from 9:30 am - 4:00 pm. Transportation can be added on to your summer tuition at the rate of $75 per child/per week. If you opt for transportation, your child will be picked up between 8:00 and 9:15 am. Parents can drop off children after 9:00am and pick up before 4:00pm by prior arrangement.
We provide air-conditioned transportation by professional drivers. All of our drivers are CDL certified and have background checks completed. In addition, each vehicle has a bus counselor. Bus counselors ensure safety, know all of the children by name and make sure our bus rides are an extension of our fun-filled day.
7. Do you offer swim instruction?
At this time, our pools will not be open for our summer program. Our top priority is the health and safety of our children. We will offer water slides, water sprinklers and additional opportunities for your children this summer. We will notify families immediately if there is a change and pools will open.
8. Do you offer lunch?
Our all-inclusive program includes a lunch for every child. At this time, we will have lunches deliver to classrooms. Group leaders will have the option to bring their group outdoors to eat or remain indoors.
We offer hot meal choices, plain pasta, sandwiches, fresh fruit, and snacks on a daily basis. All children are offered Gatorade, water, ice tea, lemonade, and milk daily. All children receive a snack in the afternoon. We are well equipped to handle picky eaters and any food allergies! We are a nut-free facility.
9. Is there a nurse on campus?
We have a Registered Nurse on campus. Coaches and head staff are trained in first aid and CPR. We also have AED machines located throughout our campus.
10. How many children/staff members will be in my child's group? Our Explorers Program as a ratio of 4 to 1 ratio of children to counselors. There is a maximum capacity of 12 students per group.
Our Trailblazers will have a ration a 7 to 1 ratio of children to counselors. There is a maximum capacity of 12 students (indoor program) and 16 students (dance and sports) per group.
11. Who instructs each activity? Our Explorer Program will be led by Group Leaders. Our Group Leaders are professionals in the field of education who have extensive experience in Early Childhood Education and/or Youth Development Programming and will be responsible for teaching each activity. Group Counselors are active participants and remain with their children the entire day.
Our Trailblazer Program will be led by Specialty Instructors. These are individuals are often teachers, coaches or professionals in their particular field.
12. What happens if it rains? Rainy days at Friends Academy rarely effects our daily schedule because of our facilities. All of our indoor activities can still run and we have plenty of additional indoor space to program great activities! Please make sure to dress your child with a waterproof jacket in case of inclement weather!
We are very fortunate to have indoor facilities for many of our sports, while our camp field house provides additional space for sports activities to continue due to inclement weather. We have a set schedule for field house time during bad weather and set aside large classrooms for video and classroom instruction. We ask that each camper be prepared for the weather as we will play during light rain as we examine daily the safety of the field for playing.
13. What do I need to send to my child with every day?
We recommend that every child brings a bathing suit (towel service is provided). We supply water and Gatorade stations throughout the campus with cups but children are welcome to bring a refillable thermos.
14. Can my child change programs if he/she doesn't like the activity or originally chosen?
Although we intend to explore the reasons for wanting to change a program, our main goal is to make sure each child is happy with their summer experience. We provide the opportunity to switch before the session begins if your child is not satisfied with his/her choice. Switching is always based on availability while providing minimal disruption to the existing program.
15. How can I find out more about Friends Academy Summer Programs?
Please contact our office to schedule a private tour or to ask questions. Our staff is available to answer your questions by calling 516-393-4207 (Monday - Friday) from 9:00am - 4:00 pm or you can email Summer@fa.org