WAYS TO GIVE TO FRIENDS ACADEMY
Thank you for your interest in making a gift to Friends Academy. Below are a variety of methods by which you can support the Quaker Mission. Please feel free to call the Advancement Office at (516) 393-4251 with any questions. Thank you again for your generous support.
Gifts of Cash
Gifts of cash are the easiest and most direct way to give to Friends Academy and are tax-deductible under the U.S. tax law. Gifts of cash can be made online, by sending a check, or by calling the Advancement Office.
- Make a credit card gift online by clicking the "Make a Gift" button
- Send a check (made out to Friends Academy)
- Contact the Advancement Office at:
Many companies offer a matching gift program for their employees and retirees who make charitable contributions to nonprofit organizations. If you work for a matching gift company, you could double or even triple your gift to Friends Academy. Click here to check whether your company participates in a matching gift program, or check with you company's Human Resources Department to inquire about its matching gifts policy.
To submit for a matching gift, please enclose a matching gift form from your company with your donation. Complete the employee section of the form. Upon receipt of your gift and matching gift form, Friends Academy will complete the charitable section of the form and send your company the completed form for processing.
Your gift, along with the matching gift from your employer, is an excellent way to maximize your contribution to Friends Academy.
For further information, please contact:Friends Academy Advancement Office 270 Duck Pond Road Locust Valley, NY 11560 (516) 393-4251 Fax #(516) 465-1730
Gifts of Securities
Marketable securities can be an attractive asset to contribute to Friends Academy. The donor who gives appreciated stock will usually avoid the capital gains tax on the stock's appreciation and will receive a charitable deduction based on the market value on the date the stock is received by Friends Academy. Appreciated gifts of stock must be held more than 12 months to qualify for long-term capital gains. Please read the following instructions for making a gift of stock to Friends Academy.
No one is too young or too old to properly prepare for the transmittal of his or her property by means of a will. Aside from the benefits of being able to decide how your property may be distributed to your heirs, there are additional benefits:
- You may choose your executor. An executor gathers the assets of your estate and then distributes these asset according to your expressed wishes.
- You may reduce or completely eliminate estate and inheritance taxes by the directions of your will, and by charitable bequests.
- You may name guardians for your surviving minor children.
- You may establish trusts for surviving heirs, thereby protecting heirs who may not be able to manage money. Trusts also save heirs from the burden of financial responsibility.
- You may choose your own trustee. A trustee is an individual or organization experienced in handling money and legally qualified to do so.
- You may select that portion of your estate from which taxes due are to be paid.
- You may mention Friends Academy and other charities with which you have lifetime affiliations and interests in your will.
A Bequest to Friends Academy....
- May be an unrestricted outright gift for a use designated by Friends Academy. This type of bequest is most helpful.
- May be restricted as to form and use...as to form: Friends Academy may be directed to use the income only or the principal as well. As to use: Friends Academy may be directed to establish endowments, capital needs, scholarships or other funds.
Another method of contributing to Friends Academy is through our gift-in-kind program. A gift-in-kind (GIK) is typically in the form of services rendered for Friends Academy or other property which you as the donor may give to Friends and in return receive a charitable deduction for the value of the service. It is the responsibility of the donor to secure an official appraisal for the fair market value of the item to be donated. Examples of GIK are furniture, a vehicle, printing services or gift certificates to area restaurants.
Establishing an endowment in your name or in the name of a loved one is an excellent way to help ensure continuous support of Friends Academy. Endowment gifts are invested donations whose earned interest is used to support our students. Donors can even choose to designate their gift towards a specific program, if desired.