Interested applicants should send a resume with references and a cover letter to email@example.com, unless otherwise indicated. No fax or paper applications will be accepted. Please put the position title in the subject line of the email.
- Director of Athletics
- Campaign Coordinator
- Coaching Positions
- Substitute Teacher (All Divisions)
- Substitute for Little Friends
- After School Classroom Teacher
- Public Speaking Enrichment Instructor
- 2021 Pre-Summer/Summer Instructors
Guided by Quaker principles, Friends Academy educates our students to discover and develop the best of who they are and who they can become.
At Friends Academy, we achieve educational excellence by committing to the highest standards of learning and living.
Our welcoming and diverse community is strengthened by our Quaker values, which empower our students to inquire, reflect, and engage in their classrooms, in their neighborhoods, and in the world.
Because when we inspire students to learn and live with purpose, they can achieve greatness without sacrificing goodness.
About Friends Academy Athletics
The Friends Academy athletics program promotes sound principles of physical, social, and psychological development through physical education, health, and athletics. Interscholastic athletics begins in 7th grade, where all students participate in a variety of team sports. In high school, all students are required to either participate in interscholastic athletics or take a physical education class each term. 80% of Upper School students participate in interscholastic athletics. More than half of Upper School students play two or more sports. Friends Academy competes in the NYSPHSAA consisting of 49 boys and girls middle school, junior varsity, and varsity teams comprising 460 student-athletes in the following sports:
Track and Field
*Not a NYSPHSAA sport
Leading a staff of over 50 coaches with an average of eight years coaching experience, the department manages and operates the Athletic Facility and fields located on the Friends Academy Campus, 270 Duck Pond Road, Locust Valley, NY 11560. The department also coordinates transportation to various sites for inter school games.
Friends Academy Athletic Highlights
In the 27 years Friends has been a member of Section VIII of the NY State Public HS Athletic Assoc., Friends Academy Athletics have earned numerous honors, including:
- County Championships: 51
- Long Island Championships: 23
- Sectional Regional titles: 15
- State Championships: 6
Reporting to the Head of School, the Director of Athletics sets the vision for the athletic department aligned with Friends Academy’s mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides clear vision, strategic planning, and leadership for the athletics department in pursuit of excellence and consistent with the overall mission of the Friends Academy
- Develops long-range and yearly departmental budget plans within the budget parameters set by the Head of School and the Board of Trustees and ensure fiscal accountability.
- Formulates a proactive approach to handling personnel and student issues by setting expectations to ensure positive performance.
- Provides direction to set goals, stimulate program development, allocate resources, assess student and other institutional needs, develop appropriate policies, foster open communication with and among campus constituencies, and promote effective evaluation methods.
- Oversees the administration of the interscholastic athletics program while maintaining accountability for program design, operation, safety, evaluation, and improvement.
- Maintains Friends Academy’s relationship with the NYSPHSAA, and other respective sport conferences to ensure compliance with institutional as well as local, regional and national requirements. Participate actively in NYSPHSAA, Section VIII, and other league meetings and activities.
- Represents the department to appropriate internal and external groups, including but not limited to alumni, parents, civic organizations and local and regional government officials.
The Director of Athletics is a critical member of the Senior Leadership Team. The ideal candidate is someone seeking challenge, who thinks creatively, embraces complexity, and adapts to change. The ideal candidate should possess the following attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in athletic administration or other equivalent work experience.
- Serves as an inspirational thought leader, as one who is a continuous learner and who looks to incorporate current best practices in athletics at Friends Academy.
- Leads with the highest ethical and moral standards.
- Fosters excellence in student success and development.
- Learns and fosters collaboration and productive partnerships with a broad range of constituencies, both within and outside the School.
- Engages and cultivates meaningful relationships with donors, alumni and key stakeholders to garner philanthropic support of the Athletics program.
- Possesses strong marketing and communication skills, proficient at public relations and positively contributes to the overall reputation and image of the athletic department and the school.
- Strong knowledge of or demonstrated ability to quickly learn and master applicable policies, rules, and regulations, including those of the NYSPHSAA and the NYSAIS.
- Adheres to and complies with applicable laws, policies, rules, and regulations, including, but not limited to, association rules, and school policies.
Senior Management Qualities
- Successes in strategic and financial planning, setting of priorities, allocation of both monetary resources, and the management of human capital.
- Strong organizational and personnel management skills; strong analytic, strategic, communications, and interpersonal skills.
School Culture and Relationships
- Successfully engages with a large and diverse set of stakeholders in a variety of settings, including student and faculty advisory boards, parents and caregivers.
- Collaborates with Admissions, Enrollment, and Marketing to attract students and families to Friends Academy.
- Coordinates with the physical education and health and wellness departments to develop a comprehensive student wellness program.
- Appreciation of and commitment to the student-athlete.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and the active support of an anti-bias, inclusive campus culture.
The Friends Academy invites nominations and applications or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the Friends Academy. Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and list of references. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted to Parker Executive Search’s website by January 20, 2021. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Grant Higgison, Principal
Parker Executive Search
770-804-1996 ext. 116 | 770-804-1996 ext. 118
DanielParker@parkersearch.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
FRIENDS ACADEMY is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its recruitment and hiring process without regard to age, alienage, caregiver status, childbirth, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, domestic violence victim status, ethnicity, familial status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital status, military status, national origin, parental status, partnership status, predisposing genetic characteristics, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, unemployment status, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
Friends Academy, a PS-12, Independent Quaker Day School located on a 65-acre campus on the North Shore of Long Island, NY, is seeking a full-time Campaign Coordinator. A successful candidate will work closely with the Director of Advancement and Campaign chairs to keep the campaign on schedule and progressing with a high level of visibility and momentum that will bring about a sense of excitement, optimism, and confidence in achieving the campaign goal. The Campaign Coordinator will assist with all tasks related to the capital campaign.
Essential functions of this position include but are not limited to:
- Major donor work
- Campaign Committee Work
- Gift acknowledgment and tracking
- Campaign reporting and coordination
We offer a competitive salary based on experience. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Kevin Barry Director of Advancement.
Able to work long hours and weekends as needed. Contributes to a positive team spirit; Works with minimal direction and oversight; Ability to meet deadlines; Pays great attention to detail; Excellent written communication skills; An effective communicator; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Works with integrity and principles; Upholds organizational values and Quaker philosophy.
Applicants should possess a bachelor's degree and at least four years of office experience with an interest in fundraising, public relations/marketing, and/or independent school education. Previous campaign experience is a plus. Excellent technology and Microsoft Office skills.
Friends Academy is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to hiring exceptional talent of diverse backgrounds. We consider qualified individuals for employment with the School regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability or any other state or federally protected classification.
The following coaching positions are open for the 2020-21 school year:
- Head Crew Coach
- Head Squash Coach
- Girls Varsity Cheerleading Head Coach
- Girls Varsity Softball Head Coach
- Girls Varsity Softball Assistant Coach
- Boys Varsity Ice Hockey Assistant Coach
Girls Varsity Lacrosse Assistant Coach
- Girls JV Lacrosse Assistant Coach
- Girls JV Tennis Assistant Coach
- Boys JV Tennis Assistant Coach
- Modified Softball Coach
- Modified Boys Basketball Coach
Please e-mail resume and cover letter to Athletic Director Alan Quackenbush at email@example.com.
In each division, there is an occasional need for daily substitute teachers. Additional substitutes are always needed.
- A BA degree and experience teaching students in one or more divisions: Lower School, Middle School, Upper School; an advanced degree is preferred.
- Teaching and or Assistant Teaching experience in independent schools is preferred.
- Strong organizational and communication skills as well as a love for working with children or young adults is required.
Friends Academy, a Quaker Independent Day School, PS-12th grade is seeking a part-time early childhood classroom assistant for the after school extended day program. A successful candidate will work Monday-Friday, 3:00 pm-6:00 pm and will assist with classroom management, engage children in activities and other responsibilities as assigned by the classroom teacher. Strong organizational and communication skills as well as a love for working with children.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references.
Friends Academy is committed to our guiding principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome candidates representing the diversity of the world in our hiring practices and educational program.
Friends Academy is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider qualified individuals for employment with the School regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability or any other state or federally protected classification.
Friends Academy's Auxiliary Programs is seeking a Public Speaking Enrichment Instructor to teach the fundamentals of public speaking and provide students an organized curriculum with classroom and group activities. Group will consist of a total of 5-10 middle and high school students.
Duration: This is a temporary position. Twice a week after school from 4:30pm to 6:30 pm. A total of 8 sessions. Starting early 2021.
Qualifications/Experience: A Bachelors Degree and one year of experience is preferred. Professionalism, excellent communication and classroom management skills are required.
Salary: Competitive hourly wage commensurate upon experience.
Candidates MUST submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered.
Friends Academy is committed to our guiding principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome candidates representing the diversity of the world in our hiring practices and educational program. Friends Academy is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to hiring exceptional, dedicated employees of diverse backgrounds. We consider qualified individuals for employment with the School regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability or any other state or federally protected classification.
Seeking individuals with an interest to develop and facilitate unique week-long Pre-Summer (June 14-25, 2021) and/or Summer Programs (June 28-Aug. 13, 2021) for students (ages 3- 14) in the following areas:
Art, Athletics, Ceramics, Chess, Coding, Creative Writing & Journalism, Culinary Arts, Dance, Drama, Fashion and Sewing, Martial Arts, Music, Nature and Hiking, Outdoor Living Skills & Pioneering, Photography, Robotics, SCRATCH & STEAM, Sign Language, Video & Film, Literature and much more!
Applicants must enjoy working with children. Program curriculum must include hands-on and engaging activities. Applicants should have excellent communication and classroom management skills.
Please email a cover letter, resume and brief description of proposed program.